Updated February 13, 2012
Our NHL trade rumors are gathered from media and online sources around the hockey world. You can also consult our index of previously reported trade rumors.
- Darren Dreger at TSN reports that buyers currently outnumber sellers in the NHL, which explains the lack of trade activity in February. Dreger says many borderline or non-playoff teams become reluctant to move assets if the team hits a hot streak. (A case in point would be the New York Islanders, who have played well of late, prompting the team to declare that G Evgeni Nabokov will not be dealt.) Or they hold out for the best possible deal, which could mean waiting until deadline day.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun says the Rangers could have a blockbuster deal in the works to acquire Blue Jackets F Rick Nash. Garrioch says the package demanded by Columbus could include C Brandon Dubinsky, prospect C Chris Kreider from Boston College and a number-one draft pick.
- Garrioch also reports that the Predators will not trade D Ryan Suter (unrestricted free agent in 2012) or D Shea Weber (restricted free agent in 2012), but might be interested in getting Oilers F Ales Hemsky if the price is right.
- Garrioch says Sabres F Derek Roy would be a good fit with the Blackhawks, and Ducks D Lubomir Visnovsky might be just the kind of affordable veteran the Flyers need to shore up the defense.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch says F Jeff Carter remains on the market, with Calgary and Los Angeles as two possible destinations. He speculates that G Jonathan Bernier would be demanded in any deal with the Kings, D Jay Bouwmeester might be the centerpiece of a trade with the Flames.
- Sabres F Paul Gaustad is surfacing in a variety of rumors. He's an unrestricted free agent this summer, so the asking price would likely be modest.
- F Brad Boyes is another Sabre due to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. He would surely e an attractive target for teams seeking scoring depth.
- David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail says Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman needs a goaltender to stop the team's recent slide. Islanders G Evgeni Nabokov is ideal, but not available. Shoalts says Oilers G Nikolai Khabibulin might be an option.
- Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal floats the possibility that Oilers F Ales Hemsky could end up in Nashville, with the Predators shipping rookie D Jonathon Blum to Edmonton.
- Will the Bruins be active? It's hard to imagine them messing with the forward roster. But for defensive insurance, various sources say Boston might pursue Flames D Scott Hannan or D Cory Sarich, Hurricanes D Bryan Allen or D Jaroslav Spacek, Jets D Johnny Oduya, Islanders D Milan Jurcina or D Mark Eaton, or Coyotes D Adrian Aucoin.
- With the Devils solidly in the midst of the Eastern Conference playoff race, there's practically no chance the team will trade F Zach Parise this season. They are facing a July 1 deadline to re-sign him, or he'll be the star of this year's free agent crop.
- The Oilers have signed a one-year contract extension with D Andy Sutton, removing him from the trade market.
- Capitals F Mike Knuble has been a healthy scratch lately. Several sources say he might end up in San Jose, but it's unlikely the Sharks or anyone won't give up much for a 39-year-old whose scoring production has dried up this season.
The NHL Salary Cap Explained
NHL Free Agents
A Guide to the NHL Entry Draft