For team rosters, predictions, previous medal winners and more, see the 2010 Olympic Hockey Guide.
Here's the Team Canada preliminary roster for the 2010 Olympic men's hockey tournament, announced by general manager Steve Yzerman on December 30.
Keep in mind that this is not a final roster. Players can be replaced up until 24 hours before the Olympic tournament begins.
- Martin Brodeur, 37 (New Jersey Devils)
- Roberto Luongo, 30 (Vancouver Canucks)
- Marc-Andre Fleury, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
- Scott Niedermayer, 36 (Anaheim Ducks)
- Chris Pronger, 35 (Philadelphia Flyers)
- Shea Weber, 24 (Nashville Predators)
- Drew Doughty, 20 (Los Angeles Kings)
- Duncan Keith 26 (Chicago Blackhawks)
- Dan Boyle, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
- Brent Seabrook, 24 (Chicago Blackhawks)
- Sidney Crosby, 21 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
- Rick Nash, 25 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Jarome Iginla, 32 (Calgary Flames)
- Mike Richards, 25 (Philadelphia Flyers)
- Joe Thornton, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
- Patrick Marleau, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
- Ryan Getzlaf, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
- Brenden Morrow, 31 (Dallas Stars)
- Corey Perry, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
- Dany Heatley, 29 (San Jose Sharks)
- Eric Staal, 25 (Carolina Hurricanes)
- Patrice Bergeron, 25 (Boston Bruins)
- Jonathan Toews, 21 (Chicago Blackhawks)
The team is very similar to the one picked by About.com the day before the official announcement was made.
The only differences: Bergeron makes the team at forward and Doughty on defense (our team had Tampa's Martin St. Louis instead of Bergeron, and Calgary's Jay Bouwmeester in place of Doughty).
There are several mild surprises:
Bergeron wasn't invited to last summer's orientation camp, but played his way onto the team with a strong two-way game for the Bruins this season.
Philadelphia's Mike Richards and Carolina's Eric Staal both made it, despite the fact that their teams have had hugely disappointing seasons.
Another Philadelphia Flyer, Jeff Carter, was considered a lock for the team after scoring the most goals of any Canadian in the NHL last season. But his production has declined this season.
Brenden Morrow of the Stars fell off a lot of people's radars when he missed much of last season with an injury.
Many considered Bouwmeester a strong candidate after his impressive start with the Flames this year. But Calgary has been inconsistent defensively.
Washington's Mike Green is the highest-scoring defenseman in the NHL this season. But many believe his play in his own zone needs improvement.
Potential Replacement Players:
(in case of injury)
- Jay Bouwmeester, Flames
- Mike Green, Capitals
- Dion Phaneuf, Flames
- Robyn Regehr, Flames
- Ryan Smyth, Kings
- Shane Doan, Coyotes
- Martin St. Louis, Lightning
- Jeff Carter, Flyers
- Steven Stamkos, Lightning
- Vincent Lecavalier, Lightning
- Mike Fisher, Senators
- John Tavares, Islanders
Team Canada Summer Training Camp Invitees:
Goaltenders: Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils), Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks), Marc-André Fleury (Pittsburgh Penguins), Steve Mason (Columbus Blue Jackets), Cam Ward (Carolina Hurricanes).
Defense: Jay Bouwmeester (Calgary Flames), Dan Boyle (San Jose Sharks), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks), Chris Pronger (Philadelphia Flyers), Robyn Regehr (Calgary Flames), Dion Phaneuf (Calgary Flames), Marc Staal (New York Rangers), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators), François Beauchemin (Toronto Maple Leafs), Brent Burns (Minnesota Wild), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings), Stéphane Robidas (Dallas Stars), Mike Green (Washington Capitals), Dan Hamhuis (Nashville Predators), Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks), Brent Seabrook (Chicago Blackhawks).
Forwards: Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins), Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes), Simon Gagné (Philadelphia Flyers), Dany Heatley (Ottawa Senators), Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames), Rick Nash (Columbus Blue Jackets), Joe Sakic (Colorado Avalanche), Martin St-Louis (Tampa Bay Lightning), Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks), Vincent Lecavalier (Tampa Bay Lightning), Ryan Smyth (Colorado Avalanche), Jeff Carter (Philadelphia Flyers), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks), Milan Lucic (Boston Bruins), Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks), Andy McDonald (St. Louis Blues), Brenden Morrow (Dallas Stars), Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks), Mike Richards (Philadelphia Flyers), Derek Roy (Buffalo Sabres), Patrick Sharp (Chicago Blackhawks), Jordan Staal (Pittsburgh Penguins) Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks), Dan Cleary (Detroit Red Wings).