Updated January 15, 2013
Will an NHL lockout spoil the 2012-13 season? With regular updates, here's a concise summary of where the two sides stand on the issues.
- Share Your Thoughts: Do Fans Forgive and Forget?
The lockout dragged on for months, leaving arenas dark and fans out in the cold. Now that the NHL is back, are you ready to cheer as loud as ever? Or has the lockout turned you off?
- Rise and Shine: The NHL Is Back!
Here's what we know about the new NHL collective agreement, which was reached in the early hours of January 6.
- January 1, 2013: Back To the Table
A new offer from the NHL gets negotiations started again. Can it inspire momentum to end the lockout?
- December 17, 2012: Courtroom Drama or Courtroom Farce?
With a flurry of filings and complaints, the NHL and the Players' Association invite more lawyers into the room.
- Are NHL Players Spoiled Brats? And Other Questions of the 2012 Lockout
Hockey fans are understandably furious. As always, some of them are lashing out at the guys who are paid millions to play a kid's game.
- NHL Lockout Watch: December 7, 2012
Optimism dissolves and talks break off again, as NHLPA tactics leave Gary Bettman and the owners frustrated.
- NHL Lockout Watch: December 5, 2012
Players and owners report a "constructive" eight-hour day without Gary Bettman or Donald Fehr in the room.
- NHL Lockout Watch: December 4, 2012
Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr step away for a day as players and owners face each other at the NHL lockout table.
- What is the "Make Whole" Issue We Keep Hearing About?
If you've been following the 2012 NHL lockout, you will have encountered many references to the "make whole" question.
- NHL Lockout Watch: November 28, 2012
We explain the mediation process and the threat of union decertification, as the NHL lockout drags on.
- NHL Lockout Watch: November 21, 2012
The NHLPA makes a comprehensive proposal. Reaction from the NHL is not encouraging.
- NHL Lockout Watch: November 7, 2012
Negotiating teams have gone into hiding, meeting at a private location as they seek common ground in the NHL lockout.
- NHL Lockout Watch: October 18, 2012
They're still bickering and walking out on each other. But the NHL and NHLPA are close to agreement on a couple of key issues.
- NHL Lockout Watch: October 11, 2012
All quiet as the NHL season begins to slip away.
- NHL Lockout Watch: September 13, 2012
The NHL and NHLPA have moved a little closer, but not nearly close enough.
- What's Your Take on the NHL Labor Dispute?
How can the NHL avoid a lockout while being fair to owners, players, and fans? Send us your ideas.
- NHL Lockout Watch: August 30, 2012
"Hockey Related Revenue" is emerging as a big sticking point.
- NHL Lockout Watch: August 15, 2012
Will they reach an agreement in time for opening night of the 2012-13 season? It's starting to look doubtful.
- NHL Lockout Watch: July 22, 2012
A look at the major issues and where each side stands as serious negotiations get underway.
- NHL Lockouts and Strikes: A History
An NHL lockout or strike has interrupted play three times since 1992. Here's a look at each dispute and how it was resolved.
- The 2005 NHL Collective Agreement
Here are the key points in the deal that ended the 2005 lockout and redesigned the NHL's economic system.
- Looking Back at the 2004-05 NHL Lockout
It was a nasty one, to be sure. An archive of the breakdowns, showdowns, and turning points in the war that killed an NHL season.